Monday, July 02, 2007

Transitions...

Okay.. I have officially spent one consecutive week in my site. Big excitement! I actually got some work done also. It is nice to be in one place for a while.

I am trying to get manuals written for the projects I have done. The main one being adapting the Love and Logic program to PC and Ticos. It is a big program so it is taking a while. It also doesn't help that I have been procrastinating! The same goes for writing out the HIV workshops I did in the High School and with professionals.

As for community work, I am trying to concentrate my efforts in supporting the infant HIV commission here in Puntarenas. So far we have had two meetings that have both gone well. We have a third planned for the end of the month. It works out well that I will be moving just to San José this fall so that I will be able to continue to support the commission. I am looking to get them hooked up with some NGOs in San José to have more long-term contacts.

My other "big" project is helping the office out with site-development. Tico 17 is actually already here and in training in San Jose. So, we need to get them places to live for September. My counterpart wants to replace both Scott (in Miramar) and I, AND put another volunteer about an hour away in Esparza. I am not psyched about putting somebody in my exact barrio because, it really sucks to directly follow a volunteer and I have run into so many obstacles finding projects in my school and neighborhood that I think a volunteer would have more success somewhere else. It looks like we are going to put them in Chacarita. The non-porteño would probably not even recognize it as a seperate barrio, it is so close to where I live now. It is only about four blocks from my house and sits directly betwen me and the highway so I walk through there often to catch the bus. I met with the counselors and principal at the school on Friday and they are very excited about the possiblity of getting a volunteer there. I am already a little jelous of whoever the next volunteer will be. I think they will get a lot of support and be able to do some great things there. We are planning a community meeting for the week of the 23rd.

It is already July. On the 13th I celebrate 2 years of living in Costa Rica. It is also the last stretch of my PCV service. I am excited but also trying to soak up my favorite things about living here. (Like right now I am sitting in an internet cafe listening to the Little Mermaid Soundtrek in Spanish.) I am really going to miss living on the coast. I hope I am able to do it again in my life.

2 comments:

-L said...

Hey there! My name is Laurel, and I'm an educator. I was looking for pictures of Costa Rica for a curriculum I'm making for jr. high Spanish, and I really loved some of the pictures on your blog. Would you mind if I used some of your pictures in the curriculum? (I wouldn't use any with people in them--just the landscapes, the critters, buildings/bicycles, and the tamale-making.) Please send me an e-mail at laurelklein at hotmail.com. I appreciate your help so much! -Laurel (p.s. I have a friend doing Peace Corps in Guate right now. Hooray for Central America!)

Anonymous said...

Kelley,
It sounds like you're making some really positive changes there ... being able to have continuity from one volunteer to the next seems to be really important for real change. The idea that you'll be able to provide input to the next person is great!

You can be so proud of yourself!

loves and hugs,
Mom
xoxo