Monday, September 17, 2007

Down to the Wire...

It seems as though this thing may actually come to an end here sooner than I think. Sarah, the new volunteer that is going to pick up where I left off (she hasn't quite got her hammock yet but it's on the list) arrived in site last night. It is kind of funny to talk to her in the very, very beginning stages and remembering when I was in her shoes. It seems like forever ago but at the same time, I wonder where the two years that once seemed like an eternity have gone. I am really psyched she is here. She has really great energy and I think will do an incredible job. I tried my very best to set her up as best I could so that the challenges were inherent in the work rather than due to neglectful site development. I think things will turn out well. I told her that in many, many ways the prep I have done for her is the most sustainable thing that I have done here. I hope she doesn't mind me taking credit for her work. he, he! :)

I find myself indulging strange waves of nostalgia. I only just resisted running up to a Puntarenas beggar woman, hugging her and saying "I'm gonna miss you Crazy Lady That Hits!" But, as you may have guessed from her name, I thought that might not be a great idea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wise choice to leave Crazy Lady alone. Poor thing!

You'll soon be off on your next chapter of Adventure 101! Good for you! The land of avocados and coffee... two of the Four Food Groups! (other two are wine and chocolate) What could be better...

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hey woman, it is hard to believe that you have been gone for 2 years already. Will be glad to see you at christmas. As always, love ya and take care of yourself.

DJP

Anonymous said...

Maybe I just didn't notice them before, but there are Google ads for Costa Rica real estate on your blog page.
Certainly having wealthy foreigners (probably mostly Americans) buy land and build gargantuan second, third or fourth homes can only be an asset to the people, environment, and overall development of the country. Barf! :(