Saturday, November 12, 2005

Moving right along...

Well, in a surprising twist... I was actually kinda, sorta busy there for a while. Looks like it might even carry into next week. Let me pause here a momment and explain that though I have things to do, meetings and workshops to attend, I am lost and confused approximately 85% of the time. So, to say the least, not so much has changed.

I did present my first Charla. The good news is that, with the possible exception of them throwing rotten things at me, I can't see it getting much worse so there is no where to go but up. They basically looked at me like I was from another planet, clammed up during questions and talked among themselves during the presentation. So, all in all, they are exactly the same as 5th graders in the states. Yehaw!

I did think of a "culture" thing that I thought would be fun to share. I'm not sure I am ever going to get used to this one, but in Costa Rica it is perfectly acceptable for cell phones not only to be turned on but to ring, be answered and have a conversation during any sort of meeting. I have even been at a workshop where the speaker interupted their own presentation to anwer the phone. Very, very interesting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you know it seems to be a universal phenomenon that anyone who has a cell phone "believes" that they are muy importante.
I don't imagine that will change no matter who has one, or where they are from.
?? I hope the fifth-grades weren't the ones talking on the phone!!
DMB

Anonymous said...

Hi Kel,
Our world has changed so much, it is amazing to me that children anywhere talk during class, don't stand when their elder walk into a room, are rude in class, etc. The behavior of most students at the high school Isaac attended was terrible and I railed against it, begged the principal to discipline to no avail. It seems that good went manners went down the tubes when parents forgot to parent. So now its up to the future parents of the world to participate in their childrens lives. I see many of the young parents I know taking their jobs very seriously, there is hope that we will survive the affects of the '60's yet.

It will be snowing in MN all week, I knew it would since we will be moving this week. I can hardly wait to pull the boat a thousand miles in a snow storm. The good news is, it doesn't snow very much in Phoenix.

Love to read your postings....you're in my prayers every day,

Love, Godmother